I have two, soon to be three, nieces that have been adopted from Chinese orphanages. When I saw this book, I immediately knew I wanted to read it. I started this afternoon and basically did nothing until I was done except to warm up an already prepared dinner. I was simply astounded by the things I read.
As a mother, grandmother and aunt, I simply cannot understand the lack of plain, human compassion that was described in the pages of this journal by Kay. It was heartening to see that by the end of the book, she recounted many changes that had occurred in the care and treatment of the orphans in the institution where she volunteered for the better part of four years. However, even though there was a lack of funds, too few hands for too much work, etc., in my mind, I cannot find any excuse for the cruelty she observed, especially ... ESPECIALLY ... to the handicapped and most needy children.
I am so thankful for people like my brother-in-law and sister-in-law who are able to adopt these children and help them find the happiness they deserve within a loving family. If you aren't afraid to open your eyes and heart, I highly recommend reading this book. Have the tissues handy!
I will definitely check this book out as I'm considering adoption. Thanks for this review!
ReplyDelete