Monday, April 2, 2012

B: Blue by Lou Aronica

I had my posts scheduled to post each day, but it apparently didn't work. Sorry!
ref=sr_1_1.jpg

     Where to even begin this review?! This was undoubtedly one of the more fascinating books I have read in my 40+ years of reading. I have loved books since my early childhood, and this story captured my imagination like few others. The author brought the characters to life so vividly, not to mention the world of Tamarisk that Becky and her father Chris created when she was five years old. I have to admit that when a book goes into a lot of description about what the surroundings look like, I often skim those parts. Not this time ... the world of Tamarisk became so clear in my mind's eye that I almost felt like I have been there. Not many authors can entice me to read every descriptive word like this one did. 
     The main characters of Becky, her mother Polly, her father Chris, and Miea (the queen in Tamarisk) were all believable in their own right. Polly wasn't particularly likeable, although as a mother, I could understand much of how she felt. The relationship between Polly and Becky was really quite good, in spite of the rancor that existed in Polly towards her ex-husband, Chris. Becky's relationship with Chris was extremely close until Polly ended the marriage with him. In trying to avoid hurting Becky by talking to her about the divorce, he ended up driving a wedge between them because she felt that he wasn't being honest with her. As things start to unravel, Becky and Christ rediscover their close relationship as they again enter the world of Tamarisk. 
     I was so sorry when this story ended, but I was so happy that the author did not choose to end the book abruptly where it naturally could have ended. He chose to go just a little bit further, which at least for me, was a very satisfactory ending. I loved reading about and being a part of Becky's life. I am not typically a fan of the fantasy genre, but I can honestly recommend this book as one of the best I have read. Don't hesitate ... you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment