
One can tell just from the title that this book is far from ordinary. This incredibly intelligent, autistic young man gives us a glimpse into the way he experiences the world.
I must admit that even though I am "neuro-typical" to use terminology from its pages, I cannot write nearly as well as this young man. I found his description of his perceptions and the way his mind works to be completely fascinating. Here is an example of a typical passage:
"Their smiles were the color of jaundice yellow, and that yellow was so dense, every color could be choked by its strength. I believed that Mother saw what I saw. And I believed that she was careful because she did not want to be choked by jaundice yellow either."
And his mother—wow—she seems to be the very definition of a loving, patient mother. To be able to continue working with her son, despite the incorrect conclusions from doctors and teachers and to continue to believe in his abilities in the face of what must have felt like overwhelming odds shows a rare strength of character. Too many parents refuse to admit their child isn't perfect, and yet this mother looked at her son with honesty and worked tirelessly on his behalf. Kudos to them both! This book is an exceptional read and I highly recommend it!
I must admit that even though I am "neuro-typical" to use terminology from its pages, I cannot write nearly as well as this young man. I found his description of his perceptions and the way his mind works to be completely fascinating. Here is an example of a typical passage:
"Their smiles were the color of jaundice yellow, and that yellow was so dense, every color could be choked by its strength. I believed that Mother saw what I saw. And I believed that she was careful because she did not want to be choked by jaundice yellow either."
And his mother—wow—she seems to be the very definition of a loving, patient mother. To be able to continue working with her son, despite the incorrect conclusions from doctors and teachers and to continue to believe in his abilities in the face of what must have felt like overwhelming odds shows a rare strength of character. Too many parents refuse to admit their child isn't perfect, and yet this mother looked at her son with honesty and worked tirelessly on his behalf. Kudos to them both! This book is an exceptional read and I highly recommend it!
I don't know that one. I'll have to keep it in mind. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.
ReplyDeletenever heard of this, but it sounds like a great read:)
ReplyDeleteNutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!
ReplyDeleteDonna L Martin
www.donasdays.blogspot.com