Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P: PawPaw Patch by Janice Daugharty



ref=sr_1_2.jpg

The main character in this story is Chanell, but the supporting "character" is racism and the poison it spreads. The hypocrisy of the townspeople who, on one hand go to church with their Bibles, and on the other hand hold a profoundly unBiblical, racist attitude is disturbing to say the least. Chanell is shocked when she is all of sudden shunned by the entire community with the exception of her neighbor Archie and her sister-in-law Bell. She eventually finds that a supposed friend started a rumor that she is part black. Eventually she is forced to confront the unpleasant fact that she would have reacted the same way if the rumor had been about someone else. 


This may be a novel, but there is a stark truth existing between the lines -- a reality that still exists today in some circles. 
The language is a bit "spicier" than I prefer. Since this isn't a problem for everyone, I felt I needed to give an honest review in spite of my preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment