Sunday, April 1, 2012

A: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Yep, this book lover and copyeditor is going to do some book reviews this month. What a surprise—NOT! Let's get started~


ref=sr_1_1.jpg

     Having never read a book by Agatha Christie before, I had no idea what to expect. It was such a small book, when compared with the several-hundred-page books I typically read. I didn't know what I was getting into!
     The story starts off quite slowly, as the author introduces us to a group of ten, previously unacquainted people, who have all been invited or hired to spend the weekend on Indian Island off the coast of Devon. Not one of the ten strangers knows who has invited them, and none of them has ever been to the island before, but for various reasons, they all accept the invitation. When they arrive, everything seems in order except for one thing-- their host is not there. Thus begins the mystery, and it only deepens when they each discover the Ten Little Indians nursery rhyme posted on a wall in their bedrooms. 
     One by one, people begin to turn up dead, and with each death, the panic increases among the remaining guests. Which one is the killer? As mystery readers, we try to figure it out before all is revealed at the end.  Any reader who actually gets it right before the end of this book, is either lucky or an incredibly good guesser!

11 comments:

  1. I actually haven't read that one - but I totally try and guess before I make it to the end of the book

    happy A to Z
    baygirl32.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. I always try to guess the ending but find it boring if it's too easy to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a big fan of Agatha Christie, and this is one of her best books. I've read it several times, and each time I forget who the killer is!

    Welcome to the Challenge!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through an Agatha Christie phase in high school. And There Were None was one of my favorites. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. books allow us to re-read if we get confused, which makes for a good thing when reading a mystery...

    i love surprises so i am always a little scatter-shot at guessing the killers...

    stopping by from the a to z...and your visit to my blogdog blog...

    Bruce and tUcKeR

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't you just love when you come across a book you've never picked up and it leaves you wondering why you'd never picked it up before? glad you enjoyed it!

    Elizabeth

    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading this many years ago and being fascinated, but I don't remember the details! Guess I'll have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Agatha Christie! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Agatha Christie when I was in about 5th or 6th grade and read every book she ever wrote. I read some of them again years later. This one was one of my favorites! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Agatha Christie!! I read and re-read her books when I was in elementary school :)

    (Visiting from A-Z Blog Challenge)

    ReplyDelete