
This is a fascinating and
touching story. Train-Man Brown loved his job sorting the mail aboard the mail
train, and he was the best. He started as a young man, working on the mail
trains for more than fifty years "... before they'd made him clear out and
retire." His father was a train man before him, and when this way of life
ended, Walker Brown's entire world collapsed.
I had never heard of the mail trains before reading this short story. As my husband would say, "I don't want to think about what you weren't taught in school!" That said, I am so glad I read this book. The author gave me a good education in just a few short pages. To quote the book, "... he opened up a whole new world I'd never even known existed: the world of the mail trains. A world that's gone now."
No comments:
Post a Comment