Monday, August 15, 2011

Our Maine Adventure continues ...

Has it really been three months since I updated our blog? Wow! But I do have an excuse … sort of. We have been incredibly busy this summer, working at the Saco/ Old Orchard Beach KOA. We thought we were busy when we worked at Chicago Northwest KOA in Illinois last summer. Well, all I can say is, the owners in Illinois might dream of their campground being this busy, but it isn’t even close! Last summer, there were maybe 3-5 weekends where the campground was actually full. Here in Maine, we have been turning away 10-15 campers per day for the past two weeks, and when I say we are full, I mean full! One of our coworkers saw a small spot of ground near one of the cabins last week and suggested we could make it a small tent site. The owners agreed, and within a couple of hours, the spot had a nice covering of pea gravel, a fire pit, and a picnic table. An hour after that, it was rented and a camper was on it! Now that is busy!

The area here in Maine is stunningly beautiful. We are only about 15 minutes south of the most famous lighthouse in Maine, the Portland Head Light. We have been there three times already! It is just so beautiful, it is hard to stay away. We have been to a local beach several times, just to sit and read and watch the tide come in (or go out). So relaxing! Now we are anxiously waiting for the fall colors we have heard so much about. One thing we have missed though … we haven’t seen one, single moose! Apparently, they are mostly further north, although one moose did visit the small town of Scarborough, just a few miles north of Saco. Believe it or not, this silly moose strolled around the Cabela’s parking lot just two days before the moose hunting license lottery began!

We have been attending a wonderful, small church in Scarborough called Coastal Community Church. It is a Wesleyan church … still not exactly sure what that is, but the pastor preaches straight from the Bible, so it is all good. Pastor Dwayne and his wife, Melodie, are transplants from Canada. Everyone has welcomed us with open arms and we just love it. It has been a special blessing for me, as I have been able to sing in the choir. I have missed this SO much, and I feel the Lord has truly given me the desire of my heart in this area.

On Tuesday, August 9th, we went to New Hampshire to visit with some friends. They drove us around their area in Cornish, NH and then on into Vermont where we went to see the Quechee Gorge. This is apparently called the “Grand Canyon of the Northeast”. It is really quite different as there are just so many trees. We plan on returning at the beginning of October. We can just imagine what it will look like then with the reds, yellows, oranges and greens of fall.

Fast forward a week … now it is Monday, August 15th and it's a very rainy day. It started last night and has rained, sometimes poured, all day. Practically the entire Northeast region is under a flood watch. (I think we should send some of this rain to Texas … they need it.) Anyway, we decided a good rainy “off-day” activity would be to travel down to Boston, Massachusetts to see the John F. Kennedy Library and Presidential Museum. It was well worth the trip. I was only seven years old when he died, so I really have no memory of him to speak of. As history has shown, he had his flaws like the rest of us, but after seeing all the exhibits, along with the things I have read and seen on TV about him, he seems like the kind of man one would want as President. I fear our country has forgotten the reality of what he stood for and has replaced that reality with a mere ghost of his image. We like the sound of “ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country”, and yet we want to accept no personal responsibility for anything. Sad …

Okay, I’m off my soapbox now. As we travel down this soggy road on our quest to find ice cream near Cape Cod, I will sign off for a while. Hopefully you will hear from me again before another three months pass! (P.S. We gave up on driving to Cape Cod for ice cream ... it is just too rainy to drive further south. We are going home!)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing! I'm vacationing vicariously when I read your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciated your post - I was just thinking of you two last week, wondering how you were doing. What are your plans for the winter?

    ReplyDelete