Sunday, April 10, 2011

From Mississippi to Alabama to North Carolina

   Well, we left Okatoma Resort in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on Thursday as planned. We had a pleasant, uneventful trip to Heflin, Alabama near the Georgia border. We stayed at a cute RV park called "Cane 9 Creek RV Park & Campground" ... the sign on the office said "Pets welcome, humans must be on leash!"
   We left the next morning and made our way to Valdese, North Carolina to see my (Sue) cousin Dotty Higgins and her husband Norris. We had planned to boondock on their property, but after surveying the situation, Wayne very wisely decided to camp elsewhere. Fortunately we had a "Plan B" ready, so we drove another 11 miles to Hickory, NC and parked at the Indian Springs Campground there.
   The Higgins have a beautiful home in High Peak Mountain Estates, and to get to their home, one must ascend 300' on a very narrow, winding road that drops off on one side. It is a challenging road with just our truck. I was very thankful he decided NOT to take our 5th wheel trailer up. I would have found it extremely stressful.
Steep, winding road up the mountain
Jenna, Sue, Dotty & Melanie
   We had a wonderful time getting to know Dotty and Norris over the past couple of days. (My mother Nancy and Dotty's mother Dorothy were sisters.) We also had the pleasure of meeting their daughter Melanie on Sunday, along with her daughter Jenna and her husband, Paul Drum. (Wayne and I think our granddaughter Kaitlyn would get along nicely with Jenna as they are fairly close in age.) Although Dotty remembers seeing me a couple of times when I was very young, I have no memory of these visits, so it was especially nice for me to spend time with her. As I have mentioned before, family has come to mean so much to me in the past few years. One of the special benefits of our nomad lifestyle is the ability to connect with family members across the United States
   While we were visiting with the Higgins on Saturday, we experienced an amazing hail storm. Growing up in Wyoming, hail storms are certainly something I have experienced many times. However, I have NEVER seen hail like this. I have heard news reports of golf ball size hail, and now I have seen it for myself. The sound was incredibly loud on the roof, and our dog Lucy began barking like you can't believe.
Golf ball size hail
   My readers are probably going to get tired of my comments on how beautiful this country is, but I will say again that every state has been beautiful, and North Carolina is no exception. The dogwood trees are in bloom and are just gorgeous. Oh yes, have I mentioned that we are going to get to see spring twice this year?? Once in Mississippi and again in Maine! Coolness!

Dogwood trees in bloom
   Okay, it's time to quit for now. We are leaving in the morning and will travel to Natural Bridge, VA.  Goodnight! Yawn ...

No comments:

Post a Comment