Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 22-28, 2010 Desert Hot Springs, CA


This week has been very slow and relaxing ... just what the doctor ordered! Last week was loads of fun with family at Disneyland, but it was also very tiring.
After we arrived in the Palm Springs area on Monday afternoon, our goal was to visit with old friends from Modesto, check out the area, and most importantly, simply relax.
We spent Tuesday doing household chores like laundry. I also made hotdog and hamburger buns from scratch. Yum! Wednesday we met up with Jim and Carolyn Doud (they moved here 6 years ago for their daughter, Diane). We visited with Jim and Carolyn over a nice dinner, went to the Wednesday evening services at their church, Calvary Chapel Palm Desert, and then enjoyed frozen yogurt with the Douds, their pastor, and another friend from Modesto, Lynn Marcus. (Lynn has been here for a few weeks caring for aging parents.)
Thursday evening we went downtown Palm Springs with the Douds to a very crowded street fair. We took Lucy but ended up holding her most of the time because of the crowds. Apparently it is unusual for the fair to be this crowded, but it was a a beautiful day and everyone decided to come out!
Friday we took a ride to Shields Date Gardens ... I wanted to try a Date Shake. I absolutely love dates and the shake was great. Super sweet -- so much so that I couldn't finish it, but it was good. After leaving there, we decided to take a "short" drive to see the Salton Sea. We had seen it on the map and thought it would make a nice little trip. It was definitely worth seeing, as there were thousands of birds to see as well as some gorgeous scenery. The entire area is under sea level -- at one point our GPS said we were at -256' elevation. Cool! Anyway, it ended up being a much longer drive than we anticipated. We had left home a couple hours after a small breakfast, had the ice cream at Shields, and ended up going to Applebees on the way home for dinner at about 7:00. Needless to say we were quite hungry.
Today I made bread and did our taxes. Wayne did a bit of cleaning up and reorganizing. All in all, a good week. Tomorrow we will attend church in the morning and prepare to head for Arizona on Monday morning. Bye for now!

1 comment:

  1. You continue to keep up such a busy schedule! Loved that you made buns. I have been making bread but now you have encouraged me to try the buns. I would love to make my own. I do use a bread machine. It does make it easy. ~ Keep safe and keep enjoying yourselves!!! Sharon

    ReplyDelete