Monday, February 1st, we left the Corpus Christi area and drove to New Braunfels, just north of San Antonio. I lived San Antonio as a toddler, but of course have no memory of it at all. Anyway, our campground was actually located in Sattler, even a bit more north than New Braunfels. It turned out to be quite nice ... Summit Vacation Resort ... we saw deer every single day! The only real issue was that it is in the hill country of Texas, and it was rainy most of the time. The roads were slippery and it made me very nervous when we were driving, especially with the 5th wheel attached.
On Tuesday, February 2nd (Cristen's birthday!) we actually had a day that wasn't rainy -- it was gray, but not really cold. We spent the day getting acquainted with not only San Antonio, but Wayne's cousin, Karen, her husband Denny, and their daughter Rhiannon.
In San Antonio, we went to the Riverwalk and found it absolutely beautiful, even with gray skies. We had a wonderful time walking most of the length, and had a great lunch at The County Line ... awesome Texas barbeque!
After the Riverwalk, we went to The Alamo. I am continually embarrassed by how much of our country's history I don't know. I really had no idea what The Alamo represented or what actually took place there. I was also amazed to find that Davy Crockett not only died there, but had been a Congressman from Tennessee prior to that battle. In addition, I learned about the fact that when Texas was granted statehood, it started a war with Mexico which resulted in our obtaining New Mexico, Arizona and California! I am sure all of you reading our blog already knew this, but I did not. I love learning new things, especially when I can actually visit the places where they occurred. It makes learning them so much more meaningful, at least for me.
After leaving The Alamo, we met with Karen and her family at a local Starbucks (surprise, surprise). We had a great time getting to know one another. We will look forward to seeing them again the next time we are in the San Antonio area.
Wednesday, February 3rd, was a day spent in the trailer listening to rain, rain and more rain. The gravel "road" in front of our trailer turned to a small stream, and the site two over from ours turned into a pond ... we practically needed a boat! Nothing scary though, just a lot of water. I know Texas really needs the rain, but I must say, we are very tired of the cold and wet. We knew we were leaving California at a bad time -- this isn't really a surprise and it was what we needed to do. Suffice it to say though, that we are looking forward to spring and a bit more sun.
You have had some very interesting weather! Can hardly wait to hear about your Spring and Summer! It may be the most interesting year of your lives! Keep enjoying and stay safe! Sharon
ReplyDelete