Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

Sue here -- I am skipping the "Wayne, Sue, he, she" today, and writing entirely from my perspective. In general, I try to keep this blog "our blog" since it's about our experiences traveling and workamping, but today I decided I needed to write one just from me. Hope that's ok~
It's been pretty quiet here today so far ... too quiet. Not the trucks, or should I say the lack of trucks. No, that is nice, because it is raining ... again! Enough said about that! No, it is too quiet because Wayne is asleep, Lucy is with him, and our kids and grandkids are a million miles away -- well it feels like it anyway. Needless to say I have had a bad case of the sniffles this morning. Fortunately, Wayne slept through them.
Julie & Ray's children: Josh, (friend Ashley), Kaitlyn, Beth & Emily
It has almost been exactly two years since we saw our children and grandchildren. (We saw Jon and his family in February 2010 at Disneyland for a few days, so it has only been 1 year and 10 months since we have seen them ... way too long!) I knew it would be hard, mostly on me. I don't mean that Wayne doesn't miss them, but he and I are two very different people. I am simply a mommy ... that is all I ever wanted to be. That doesn't diminish the fact that I am also his wife, and our relationship has to take priority. Our children are all married and have their own lives, and for that I am grateful. But until we left California on January 4th, 2010, we were within a day's drive of all of them, and only minutes to our oldest child, Julie, and her family. This isn't harder than I imagined ... I had a pretty good idea of what it would mean to be so far away from them. I know myself, so it was no surprise. I am just tired of missing them. I am tired of having to not think about them in order to avoid feeling sad. I can't seem to help it today. It's Christmas Eve, and I want my family. It wouldn't matter if I were in south Florida, basking in the sun and heading out to Walt Disney World. I would still feel the same as I do, sitting here in our trailer at a very soggy oil field gate.
Jon & Cristen's oldest, Anne
... and their youngest, Madeline
I am sorry this isn't a fun, uplifting post, but I am just keeping it real. We may be having fun traveling around and seeing the beauty of our country, but I still miss my family terribly. We will be seeing them in April, but that time is going to go so fast. I dread having to say goodbye again. Oh, by the way, I wish I could post recent pictures of my children, not just my grandchildren, but I don't have any. I could find pictures on Facebook of some of them, but not all, and I would feel bad leaving anyone off. The grandchildren are cuter anyway!
On a lighter note, this morning I was outside to open the gate for a semi that was leaving, when I saw this young buck frantically trying to figure out a way through or over the fence. He had apparently been down here by our trailer, and when the semi with its loud engine came down the road, he panicked, too afraid to run alongside the semi to head back the way he came. I didn't want to open the gate and let him out, so the driver and I just waited, which gave me time to snap a few pictures. Finally the driver turned off his engine, which proved to be the key. The buck immediately darted down the road and disappeared. This has happened before, but Wayne was unable to get the camera quick enough. This time, it was right by the door, ready to go!

One very scared deer!
We do hope you all have a wonderful Christmas, as you celebrate the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ, and his gift of salvation to us. To our family, we love you SO much, and can't wait to see all of you.

4 comments:

  1. Emily cried today she misses you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue - Oh me, too. I saw my daughter and her husband and my 5 and 3 yr old grand daughters in September when we traded RV's in Iowa (it had been exactly 2 years). I haven't seen my son and his wife and my 2 1/2 year old grand daughter for 26 months since they now live in New Jersey. They have a little boy, my first grand son, Samuel, who is 6 months old and I've never even seen him. I will get to see Dan (my son) in February when he flies down to Houston to speak at a Political Science Convention.
    You said it so perfectly, I, too, get tired of trying not to think about them because it hurts too much.
    I pray your Christmas will be sweet with tender memories and filled with the comfort of His grace.
    Warmly,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! SO happy to have discovered your blog site. You wrote exactly my own heart feelings. We've been full-timing for just over a year now. I hate the months and months that pass while life goes on without our being a physical presence in our kids' lives. I will be checking back often. We are currently, happily awaiting the birth of our 2nd grandchild back at home. We are, however, leaving right after to gate guard for the first time. How long we'll be gone isn't a known factor just yet. I dread the goodbye too. I said a prayer for your aching heart. I know God has a plan.

    ReplyDelete