Monday, June 25, 2012
Tyndale Bloggers book review of "No Greater Love" by Levi Benkert
I knew I would love this book as soon as I saw the synopsis. My brother-in-law Ken and his wife Laurette have two little girls from China, and my nephew Nate and his wife Pam are currently waiting for their referral call for a child(ren) from Ethiopia. We also have several friends who either have, or are in the process of, adopting children from various corners of the globe. I thought it would be interesting to read about a couple who took it one step further and actually moved from the United States to a foreign country with the specific goal of helping orphans.
In the forward of the book, Levi states, "'this book does not end well." Quite frankly, I think it ends great! He wasn't afraid to put the highs as well as the lows of their journey in this book, and that is one of the main reasons why it is so amazing. As a reader, one can get tired of the perfectly predictable storybook endings, especially in non-fiction. Life is not pretty, and is more often than not, quite messy. I have learned to be suspect of an author's honesty when everything appears to tie up into a nice, perfect bow. Yes, God is behind the scenes, weaving together the tapestry of our lives, but it is normally only in hindsight that we can catch a glimpse of His intricate handiwork. When we are in the middle of the complicated situations of life, we often can't see our hand in front of our face. That openness is what Levi has given us in this book. The honest and at times heartrending story of his decision to move his family to Ethiopia.
Be prepared to learn some disturbing things you probably didn't know about the (hopefully) past culture of Ethiopia. You may need a box of tissue, especially if you are a mother. This book is well written, but be warned, once you pick it up you will have a hard time putting it down! If you have a heart for children, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Levi's story.
(I was given a copy of this book by Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my honest review, but was not required to give a positive review.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like an interesting read.
ReplyDelete