For once we had a nice, mostly sunny day ... it was awesome! I started out driving and actually managed to make it out of Saco and almost all the way to our destination. I really felt pretty comfortable and Wayne commented several times that I wasn't making him nervous at all. Believe you me, that is quite an accomplishment. Anyway, I drove all but the final 54 +/- miles of the 190 mile trip. We saw some beautiful scenery, although the fall foliage we had hoped to see didn't materialize. There were certainly some beautiful trees, but not like the pictures we have seen. Oh well, maybe next time we are in the area.
The day was not without it's challenges however. We had barely gone 50 miles, just crossing into New Hampshire, when Wayne heard a sound, checked the mirror on his side, and noticed that we had blown a tire ... again! On our way to Maine earlier this year, we had a blowout. That time there was no damage except to the tire itself. This time however, the explosion dented the underside of the trailer by the tire and even broke through the bottom in a few places. It could have been much worse however, so we are thankful it was not. We obviously had to get off the freeway immediately and navigate to a location where Wayne could safely change the tire to the spare. Since I was driving, this meant some in-town driving into a store parking lot ... something I had not attempted yet ... and I managed it just fine. I felt pretty good about that! A half hour later and we were back on our way.
We camped at Mystic KOA in North Stonington, Connecticut last night and stayed today as well. We thought it might be nice to relax a bit on the first leg of our trip to Texas. After getting a new tire this morning, we spent the afternoon at Mystic Seaport. I will write about that later. Tomorrow we will head to Appalachian RV Resort in Shartlesville, Pennsylvania. We stayed here on the way to Maine this past April. It's supposed to be cloudy again tomorrow ... sigh. Oh well, we wouldn't appreciate the sun as much if we never had clouds.
Was the USS Eagle in port on your way over the Connecticut?
ReplyDeleteSorry Dean, I have no idea. Neither of us noticed, and quite frankly, we didn't know to specifically look.
ReplyDeleteHappy travels to you - hope you have an enjoyable and uneventful trip to Texas.
ReplyDelete